Taxes and Government Services in Knox county Indiana
State property taxes are assessed based market value. Current rates for governmental taxing districts are available on request.
State sales tax is 7% on all retail sales - food and prescription drug products are exempt.
For a quick estimate on property tax costs, try this tool.
Government & Services
Knox County government is a constitutional body, and is granted specific powers by the Constitution of Indiana, and by the Indiana Code.
County Council: The county council is the legislative branch of the county government and controls all the spending and revenue collection in the county. The council members serve four year terms. They are responsible for setting salaries, the annual budget, and special spending. They also have limited authority to impose local taxes, in the form of income and property tax subject to state level approval, excise taxes, and service taxes.
For a directory of government offices, click here.
Board of Commissioners: The executive body of the county is a board of commissioners. Commissioners are elected county-wide, in staggered terms each serving a four year term. Commissioners are charged with executing the acts legislated by the council, the collection of revenue, and managing the day-to-day functions of the county government.
Courts: The county maintains a small claims court that can handle some civil cases. The judge on the court is elected to a term of four years and must be a member of the Indiana Bar Association. The judge is assisted by a constable who is also elected to terms of four years.
County Officials: Knox County has several other elected offices, including sheriff, coroner, auditor, treasurer, recorder, surveyor, and circuit court clerk. Each of these elected officers serve four year t ermsand oversee different parts of county government.
- City of Vincennes Administration
- Mayor and seven-member council
- Four-year terms
- Third class city.
- Vincennes Planning and Zoning
- City and Council Master Plan,
- Board of Zoning Appeals
- Area Planning Commission.
- Law Enforcement
- Fire Protection
- The Vincennes Fire Department
- 40 full time professional fire fighters, these include:
- Three assistant chiefs
- 36 first-class freemen
- + 13 volunteer fire departments throughout the county
- 4 fire stations
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technicians
- (2) Bicycle Patrol with complete EMS capabilities
- Fire Inspector
- Fire Investigators
- Provides training for schools and law enforcement
- ISO Ready level 4 (soon to qualify for level 3)
- The Vincennes Township Fire Department
- 9 full time professional fire fighters
- 50 volunteers
- 4 locations
- Medical Response
- Haz Mat Team
- Mutual Aid Agreement with area fire services for additional assistance
- Waste Removal
- Weekly municipal service
- four local haulers available.
- 8 MGD maximum treatment capacity.
Major Employers | Cost of Doing Business | Financial Institiutions | Incentives | Taxes | Government/Services | Tools for Business
Back to Top